BELOW IS A LIST OF SOME OF THE MOST FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CROSSFIT STRONGTOWN.
+ DO I NEED TO BE IN SHAPE TO START?
- Part of what makes our program special is the ability to modify or tailor our workouts to the abilities of each individual athlete. We are genuinely not concerned with how much weight someone can lift or how 'fast' they can move. We focus on developing a solid foundation of form and technique first, we then make sure the individual showing proper form consiStently before we look to start increasing the intensity. Basically we walk before we run.
+ I'VE HEARD CROSSFIT IS DANGEROUS.
- First off everything has certain risks associated with it. My father once broke his leg by jumping over a small bay wave and landing oddly. I have a friend who broke his toe by accidentally kicking a table on his way to the bathroom. Things happen. At Strongtown our focus is on developing a solid foundation of form and technique. All of our classes are led by a certified instructor who makes sure that each person is moving properly and working within their limits. When done properly our program is not only safe but also has the ability to improve one's quality of life.
+ ARE ALL CROSSFIT GYMS THE SAME?
CROSSFIT IS AN AFFILIATION PROGRAM...NOT A FRANCHISE.
- We are and have been a licensed CrossFit Affiliate since July of 2011. As an Affiliate we pay CrossFit every year for the right to call ourselves a CrossFit gym. Typically in a Franchise model all the gyms would be the same...kind of like Planet Fitness. As an Affiliate we have the freedom to develop and run our gym however we decide fit. This allows us the ability to adjust to our member's needs and develop our own unique culture and community within our gym.
+ WHAT SHOULD I BRING WHEN I START?
A WILLINGNESS TO LEARN.
- I've always felt that the hardest part about trying out CrossFit is walking through the doors that first time. We will take care of the warm-up, the instruction, and the cool down. All we ask that you show up with a positive attitude and a willingness to learn and try something new. Many people bring their own water bottles which is great, we also have water at the gym if you forget. We suggest wearing something comfortable to workout in. Depending on the time of year you may want to wear a couple layers that are easy to shed as you warm-up through the class.
+ WHY IS CROSSFIT SO EXPENSIVE?
- This has to do with a perception of what CrossFit is. Many people hear the word 'gym' and associate it with $20/month membership fee where people show up whenever you want type business model. Those gyms typically charge somewhere around $80 - $100/per hour for personal training and will upsell their specialty classes. That is not what we do...our primary focus is the group classes. All of our classes are lead by a certified instructor from the warm-up to the cool down. Everyone in each class receives individual attention from the Coach. We are somewhere on the spectrum in between a $20/month gym and personal training. We know all of our members on a first name basis and have a vested interest in watching them grow and develop.
+ DO YOU HAVE SHOWERS?
- This past summer CrossFit Strongtown underwent an expansion to take on an additional 2,000sf. This has given us the ability to have more space to workout and also add more Open Gym options. While the extra space is a great added bonus the intent of the expansion is to be able to add a changing room area and showers for people. We are currently working with an Architect and beginning to phase out the work.
+ DO YOU PROVIDE CHILD CARE?
- We are a family oriented facility and while we do not provide child care services we do have a lounge room where kids will hang out in while classes are going on. We have free WiFi and many parents will bring a tablet or other device to keep their kids entertained while they work out.
+ HOW LONG ARE CLASSES?
- We block out classes to be 1 hour long. The hour includes a general group warm-up, review of the workout(s) and individual movements, time to warm-up and setup for the workout, as well as a bit of cool down time at the end. Every class starts promptly on the hour (or specified time) and we are typically wrapped up about 10 minutes the hour ends to allow for any cool down and stretching.