+ Gymnastics June
Let's get gymnasty
For June's challenge we have opened the scope of the challenge a bit and coined the month Gymnastics June. This month, you will select one gymnastics movement to practice and perfect as many days as you can. Each day you are at the box aim to practice a few sets or drills to help you finally nail down either your favorite gymnastics movement or the one you hate the most. Choose one from the following list:
- Jump Rope: Single Unders / Double Unders / Triple Unders
- Pressing: Push-ups / Dips / Ring Dips
- Pull-ups: Strict / Kipping / Chest to Bar / Butterfly
- Muscle-ups: Bar / Rings
- Handstands: Push-ups / Free Standing / Walking
- Pistol Squats
- Toes to Bar
Once you have selected one, write your name and your movement on the front blackboard. Decide each day or week how you would like to practice: will you create a set and rep scheme, say a 5x5, that you will complete every day before or after class? Will you do sets of a few types of drills each week? Maybe try an EMOM of the movement once a week? Each day you practice make tick mark on the board to show your consistency. Winner with the most consistent practice and the biggest improvement in the skill gets a prize!
+ Run Away May
Complete as many 400m runs as possible throughout May
The May challenge is taking advantage of the warmer weather and longer day. The goal this month is to see how far you can run. To score things we're keeping track of the overall distance by the number of 400m runs completed. Each 400m run counts as 1 tick mark on the board.
Any runs done during a programmed class (warm-up or workout) DO NOT count. If you are doing an Open Gym workout that has running as part of the workout - those runs DO count.
+ April & Cindy
How Many Rounds?
- For this month, log as many rounds of Cindy as possible. Don't be afraid to get creative! Maybe try a baseline Cindy for yourself in the beginning of the month then switch to variations like strict Cindy, double Cindy, half Cindy, Cindy with jumping squats (yikes), or change up the rep scheme. Whatever work you put in, no matter the variation, will help prepare you for Murph at the end of May.
+ Mindset March
That mental game
- This month, make your mindset and mental toughness the primary skill you practice at the box; it is the biggest bang for your buck if you want to be become better. This means actively putting yourself in uncomfortable situations in order to practice patience and adaptability. Always do handstand push-up on the plates? Use the crash mat. Always use the speal bar? Pull up on the powder-coated bar instead. Do a workout with no music. Don't look at the WOD in advance. Show up purposefully on a day when you know you’ll suck at a movement. Take a rest day. Mediate. Stop complaining. Don’t strip the bar when you fail one rep in a workout. Take a deep breath and try again. Slow down. Visualize how you will act when things go wrong. Set goals that have nothing to do with times and numbers. Did you stay composed the whole workout? Did you focus on your own pace, not someone else’s? Did you keep your back set for every deadlift and clean?
+ Find your Level February
Find your overall Level with The Level Method
- Anyone who’s been around the gym for the last couple of months should have noticed the giant periodic table of fitness that has been tacked to the wall. It’s 8’ x 4’ and is all types of different colors. It has workouts, words, flow-charts, etc…without getting to detailed it’s meant to provide an overall assessment of our current fitness level. It uses color rankings similar to Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and overall it has 15 different categories that get tested.
The goal is to test each category and establish a ranking…it is very possible that some people might be a ‘Black Belt’ in one category and an ‘Orange Belt’ in another. After testing each category we are then assigned an overall level...which will be limited by our weakest links. It should give people a clear snapshot of their strengths as well as areas where we can improve.
Throughout the next month we’ll be incorporating the testing into our regular programming. If anyone is interested in finding their overall level you should goto: strongtown.levelmethod.com to setup your account, send us a message for the access code.
+ January aka "Franuary"
Complete Fran 4x throughout the Month of January
- Welcome to 2019! We're bringing in the new year with a bang! The theme of the month is Fran and each week we will be doing Fran (or a version of), 21-15-9 of Thrusters and Pull-ups. The challenge is to make sure you complete the workout each week. The first day will be Friday 1/4/19 and we'll be announcing other 3 days shortly...if you're unable to make one of the programmed sessions you're alway welcome to use the annex to make up the workout.