to view past challenges please click here:
2017 challenge series
+ Don’t Drop December: Max Russian Swings
Total: Russian Kettlebell Swings
- Welcome to Don’t Drop December! For the month of December we will be enforcing a strict gym wide policy of not dropping any kettlebells or dumbbells (bars are still okay). This month’s challenge will have an option. Since we have a few people participating in Concept2 Holiday Challenge we’ll be keeping November’s rowing challenge going through the end of the month...so it’s not too late to contribute towards the 1,000,000 meters. For those that are fed up rowing we will also be adding a Russian Swing Challenge. Pick a weight and see how many you can do between now and the end of the year. We’re trying something new this month and adding ‘levels’ to the challenge. So when you hit 100 swings that’s Level 1 of the challenge…when you hit 250 swings that’s Level 2, and so on.
- 100 Swings = Level 1
- 250 Swings = Level 2
- 500 Swings = Level 3
- 1,000 Swings = Level 4
- 2,000 Swings = Level 5
+ No Kip November: Row Away
How far can you row in a month?
2017 Total distance: 988,866 meters
Click to view: 2017 Challenge Totals
For 'No Kip November' we are revisiting last year's rowing challenge. We're challenging people by asking a simple question - how far can you row in a month? Last year the gym rowed a total of 988,866 meters...I would like to see if we can break 1,000,000 this year! Now there are a few rules...
- Any rowing done during a class workout does not count, it can be either before class, after class, or during open gym.
- Rowing done as part of a workout during open gym is allowed to count as long as it is not making a workout from a class.
- There will be a leader board for this challenge and athletes will be responsible for updating their overall tally throughout the month.
- This challenge is scored by the honor system. Don't cheat.
- Rowing does not need to be done at Strongtown.
+ Squatober: Squats and Squats and Squats
Total: Push-ups / Ring-dips / Handstand Push-ups
- Welcome to Squatober! For the month of October we be challenging everyone to perform as many back squats as the can. We will be breaking the month into 4 weeks and scoring each week separately. The weight on the bar increases each week and the intent is that these should be light back squats that can be done without to much warm-up.
- Week 1 = 115/75 lbs
- Week 2 = 135/95 lbs
- Week 3 = 165/110 lbs
- Week 4 = 185/125 lbs
+ Presstember: All the pressing
Total: Push-ups / Ring-dips / Handstand Push-ups
For the month of September we are focusing on developing strict pressing strength. To help compliment our regular barbell work the monthly challenge will be looking at the 3 primary bodyweight presses 1) push-ups 2) ring-dips, and 3) handstand push-ups. Each movement has a column on the challenge board and the goal is to complete as many reps as possible across the board. Modifications are allowed, kipping is not.
Any reps done during a programmed class (warm-up or workout) DO NOT count. If you are doing an Open Gym workout that has push-ups, ring-dips, or handstand push-ups as part of the workout - those reps count.
+ August: How Far?
Complete as many 400m runs as possible throughout August
The August challenge is taking advantage of the summer weather while it's still here. The goal this month is to see how far you can run. To score things we're keeping track of the overall distance by the number of 400m runs completed. Each 400m run counts as 1 tick mark (a mile counts as 4).
Any runs done during a programmed class (warm-up or workout) DO NOT count. If you are doing an Open Gym workout that has running as part of the workout - those runs DO count.
+ July: 400 Turkish Get-ups
Complete 400 Turkish Get-ups (200 per arm) throughout the month of July
- Throughout the month of July complete a total of 400 Turkish Get-ups, 200 per arm. Turkish get-ups are a great movement for developing shoulder stability / control, core strength, and leg drive. They can also help develop our spatial awareness and balance. All of which are crucial for lifting weights and getting stronger. There are no prescribed weights for this challenge – we are recommending that men use a 16kg and ladies use a 12 kg kettlebell. Any TGU’s done during the regular programming count towards the total.
+ June: 2,000 Russian Kettlebell Swings
Complete 2,000 Russian Kettlebell Swigns throughout the month
- Throughout the month of June complete 2,000 Russian Kettlebell Swings. Any swings (American or Russian) done during the regular classes count towards the challenge total. Any weight kettlebell is permitted, the recommended weights are 24kg for men and 16kg for ladies.
+ May: Run away May
Each Week: Complete the following runs:
1 Mile Run
8 x 200m Run - 0:30 Rest
4 x 400m Run - 1:00 Rest
- The goal of this Month’s challenge is to focus on that thing we’ve neglected all winter - cardiovascular endurance. For anyone participating in this Month’s challenge we are looking to complete a series of 3 runs (or rows) each week. In any order complete the following each week 1) a ‘Baseline’ Mile run, 2) an interval 8 x 200m run - 30 seconds rest between intervals, and 3) a 4 x 400m run with 1 minutes rest between intervals. Ideally we would like to track all the intervals from all the weeks and we will update the SugarWOD challenge series workouts for anyone that wants to track their intervals. For the in gym challenge board we will be scoring the interval runs by total time (including rest). If you are rowing the equivalent would be a 2,000m Row, a 8 x 250m Row, and a 4 x 500m Row.
+ April: Murph Prep
Half Murph Each Week: Accumulate 1 mile of running, 50 pull-ups, 100 push-ups, and 150 air squats.
- We're revisiting a monthly challenge from last May. With Memorial Day Murph coming up at the end of May this month's challenge is to complete the work of a 'Half Murph' each week...this can be split up however you want across the week. The goal is to complete 1 Mile worth of running, 50 Pull-ups, 100 Push-ups, and 150 Air Squats. You can choose not to count the work done in classes if you want to increase the difficulty of the challenge. Since winter is refusing to leave we are counting a 2,000m row as equivalent to a 1 mile run.
- Scoring - this challenge is being scored based on completing the tasks each week. If you're participating please add your name to the board at the gym to keep track of weeks completed.
+ March: Unbroken Push-ups & 2 Minute Row
Challenge 1) Complete an max effort set of unbroken push-ups
Challenge 2) Complete an max distance row in 2 minutes
Throughout the month of March there will be two challenges on the board. Challenge 1 is a max effort set of unbroken push-ups. How many push-ups can you do before you have to break? You may 'rest' in a plank position however a hand-release at the bottom is not permitted. Challenge 2 is a max distance row in 2 minutes. How many meters can you row in 2 minutes? The rower should be set for a 2 minute time limit so that the scoring is accurate.
The goal of these challenges is not to put up 1 score in each and be done for the month. Instead we would like to see people put up baseline scores at some point during the first week. From there commit to trying to improve your scores each week....even if it's only by 1%. Let's see how much we can improve our push-ups and rowing splits this month.
+ February: 90 Second AMRAPs
Week 1: 2/4 to 2/10 --- Max Double Unders
Week 2: 2/11 to 2/17 --- Max Burpees
Week 3: 2/18 to 2/24 --- Max Calorie Air Bike
With February being a short month and having the Open kick off on the 22nd this month's challenge will be a series of mini AMRAPs. We will be dividing the month into 3 weeks, for the purpose of this challenge we are going to have each week start on Sunday and end a Saturday. Each week you will haveas many attempts as you like at putting up As Many Reps as Possible in 90 seconds of the challenge movement. You are welcome to practice / prepare for any of the upcoming weeks however you would like. Once a challenge week ends you will not be allowed up update your score that that movement.
- Week 1 (2/4 to 2/10) - Max Double Unders in 90 Seconds
- Week 2 (2/11 to 2/17) - Max Burpees in 90 Seconds
- Week 3 (2/18 to 2/24) - Max Calorie Air Bike in 90 Seconds
+ January: 1,000 Wall Ball
Complete 1,000 Wall Ball throughout the month
- Throughout the month of January complete 1,000 Wall-Ball. Any Wall-Ball done during the regular classes does not count towards the challenge total. For those following along at home without access to a Wall Ball / Target - we are counting 2 Air Squats + 2 Push-ups as the equivalent of 1 Wall Ball.
- As a bonus here's Video of