CrossFit Strongtown is excited to announce the official return of our annual Battle for the Bell competition! This year's event will be Battle for the Bell VIII: End Bell and will taking place on Saturday, October 19th.
Teams will be competing across two division; Big Bell, and Little Bell with a potential 5 workouts for the right to take home the highly coveted Golden Demonbell for the next year. The 2nd and 3rd Place teams will be taking home the Silver & Bronze bells for each division.
Check-ins will begin at 8:00am, standards for the first workout will be reviewed at 8:45 and the first heat will be starting promptly at 9:00am.
This event started in 2012 as a local get together between a few gyms that all had their CrossFit story originate out of one of CT’s first affiliates, CrossFit Watertown. Just as the CrossFit community has grown, so has this event. We have been happy to open our doors and welcome any affiliates/teams that want participate.
The competition will be a 4 person team format. Teams will be co-ed with 2 men & 2 women making up the 4. The event is limited to 32 teams total between the two divisions. Tickets are available on a first come first serve basis.
Event registration includes an event shirt for all team members, event description / judging packet, links to event scoreboard as well as food tickets for a post workout BBQ for all Athletes and Judges.
8:00am ATHLETE REGISTRATION
8:45am EVENT #1 REVIEW
9:00am WORKOUTs BEGIN
BOLDED TEAM NAMES ARE BIG BELL DIVISION, HEAT ASSIGNMENT = EVENT LANE NUMBER
* = last year's defending champions
Event Registration: Big Bell & Little Bell divisions
END BELL: THE WORKOUTS
+ EVENT 1: Winter Soldier
12 Minute: Relay - As Many Rounds as Possible:
12 Calorie Row
10 Burpees to a Plate
16 Kettlebell Snatch (8 per arm)
Team Format: M/F/M/F...or...F/M/F/M (entire team works out together)
Total Time: 12:00 Minutes
Workout is a team AMRAP / Relay, the team will choose how they rotate through athletes but must alternate between the men and women.
Each team will be given a lane that contains a rower, a plate for the burpees, and two kettlebells (men’s & women’s weight).
The 1st athlete will start on the rower and complete their row, they will then move down the line to complete their 10 Burpees to a Plate, and then 16 Kettlebell Snatch. After they have completed a full round the next teammate begins their row. Teams continue to rotate through as many times as possible in the allotted time.
SCORE: Workout is worth a potential 2 points (score gets entered twice)
- 1A) Total Rounds & Reps completed by the Team
- 1B) Total Rounds & Reps completed by the Team
- Plate Burpees are to a 45# Plate
- 24/16 kg Kettlebells
- Plate Burpees are to a 25# Plate
- 16/12 kg Kettlebells
- Row (Calories) – each athlete is responsible for making sure their rower is set to calories and that the monitor has been reset before starting their row.
- Burpees to a Plate - each rep begins with the athlete standing tall, athlete must perform burpee (chest to deck) and then jump and land with both feet on the plate. Rep counts when both feet make contact with the plate. Athlete does not need to open hips / stand all the way up.
- Kettlebell Snatch - similar to a kettlebell swing, athlete will need to stand up all the way, from there they will snatch the kettlebell overhead, rep counts when it is fully locked out overhead (arm, hips, knees).
+ EVENT 2: Ragnarok
12 Minute: Alternating Relay - As Many Rounds as Possible
9 Box Jump Overs
16 Dumbbell Shoulder to Overhead (8 per arm)
8 Wall Ball
8 Handstand / Hand-release Push-ups
Team Format: M/M|F/F...or...F/F|M/M (entire team works out together)
Time: 12:00 Minutes
Workout is a team AMRAP / Relay, the team will choose how they rotate through athletes, for this workout the men & women will be working as two separate pairs.
Each team will be given a lane that contains one box, two dumbbells (men’s & women’s), two wall balls (men’s & womens), as well as handstand (or hand release) push-up station.
The team will choose if the men or women are starting the workout.
For the pair that begins, Athlete 1 will perform their 9 Box Jump Overs, Athlete 2 will then complete their Box Jump Overs. Athlete 1 will then move onto the Dumbbell and complete 16 DB Shoulder to Overhead (8 per arm). Athlete 2 will then complete their 16 reps. The pair will work down the lane together through the Handstand / Hand-Release push-ups. Once they have completed a full round they the next pair begins working down the lane.
After both pairs complete a full round the teams work back up the lane...beginning with the handstand push-ups and ending on the box jump overs.
SCORE: Workout is worth 2 points (score gets entered twice)
- 2A) Total Rounds & Reps completed as a Team
- 2B) Total Rounds & Reps completed as a Team
- 24/20" Box
- 60/40 lb Dumbbell
- 25/16 lb Wall Ball
- Handstand Push-ups
- 24/20" Box: Step-ups are permitted
- 40/25 lb Dumbbell
- 20/14 lb Wall Ball
- Hand Release Push-ups
- Box Jump Overs – take off for jump must be with both feet, both feet must touch the top of the box, before jumping or stepping down to the opposite side. Hips do not need to be open on top of the box.
- Step-ups are permitted in the Little Bell division only -
- Dumbbell Shoulder to Overhead – each rep begins with the dumbbell making contact with the athlete’s shoulder and finishes with the dumbbell locked out overhead. Dumbbell can be presses, push-pressed, or jerked….if jerked the athlete must bring feet together and stand up all the way to complete the rep.
- Handstand Push-ups (Big Bell) – each team will be given a handstand push-up station with a set of bumper plates (35 lbs) to mark the hand positions and an abmat for the head in the middle. At the start of each rep the athlete must kick-up to the wall and show control at the top of the handstand before starting their rep...kicking up to a headstand or resting on the head and starting from their is not permitted. After showing control at the top the athlete must lower themselves down making contact with their head to the AbMat before pressing or kipping out of the bottom.
- Hand Release Push-ups (Little Bell) – each team will be given a designated area to complete their hand release push-ups. Each rep starts with the athlete locked out in the top of a plank hold. From there the athlete lowers their chest to the ground, releases / picks up their hands with their chest to the deck before pressing out to finish the movement witht their arms locked out at the top of a plank.
+ EVENT 3: Stormbreaker
As Heavy as Possible:
4 Front Squats
4 Hang Cleans (squat or power)
Team Format: M/M | F/F ... or ... F/F | M/M (teams choose whether their men or women begin the workout)
Time: 13:00 Minutes Overall - 6:00 Per Pair with a 1:00 Transition
Each team will have 1 station with 2 barbells (45/35) and a stack of weights (45/35/25/15/10/5/2.5 – 275 total pounds, 320 with 45# bar, 310 with 35# bar).
Teams choose whether the men or the women start the workout, from there the 1st pair will have 6 minutes for each partner to set a max clean complex.
Only the working partners are allowed to change weights. Bars are allowed to be loaded during the transition time but must be empty at the start of the workout.
SCORE: Workout is worth 2 points
- 3A) Total Weight Lifted by Men
- 3B) Total Weight Lifted by Women
- Scores are ranked against Big Bell Division.
- Scores are ranked against Little Bell Division.
- Front Squat – each repetition begins with the athlete standing all the way up. From there the athlete must pass through the bottom of the squat (crease of hip below top of knee) and stand up fully with the bar. A squat clean between the last hang clean & first front squat does not count.
- Hang Clean – starting at the finish of the deadlift (top of the hang position), the athlete must clean the bar up to their shoulder and stand up fully with the bar. A 'low' hang clean is permitted as along as the bar does not pass below the knees during the dip / pull. Either hang squat cleans or hang power cleans are permitted.
+ EVENT 4: Infinity War
Syncrhonized ascending ladder
4 Synch. Toes to Bar (BB)...or...Sit-ups (LB)
4 Synch. Deadlifts
+2 Reps Each completed round
Team Format: M/F | M/F (Team is split into two co-ed pairs)
Time: 13:30 Minutes Overall - 6:30 Per Pair with a 0:30 Transition
Each team will have 1 station with a men's and women's barbell as well as a toe to bar station (Big Bell) or a sit-up station (Little Bell). At the start of the workout the 1st pair begins their ladder. This workout is 'synchronized' and both partners must be moving together the entire time.
- Round 1: 4/4 = 8 Reps x 2 = 16 Total
- Round 2: 6/6 = 20 Reps x 2 = 40 Total
- Round 3: 8/8 = 36 Reps x 2 = 72 Total
- Round 4: 10/10 = 46 Reps x 2 = 92 Total
- Round 5: 12/12 = 70 Reps x 2 = 140 Total
- Round 6: 14/14 = 98 Reps x 2 = 196 Total
SCORE: Workout is worth a potential 2 points
- 4A) Total Reps completed by Pair 1
- 4B) Total Reps completed by Pair 2
- Deadlifts @ 255/170 lbs
- Toes to Bar
- Deadlifts @ 185/125 lbs
- Deadlifts – bar starts on the ground, each rep finishes when the athlete is standing tall with their shoulders behind the bar and hips / knees locked out. A mixed grip is permitted, ‘bouncing’ the bar off the ground is not.
- Toes to Bar (Big Bell) – rep starts with athlete hanging from pull-up bar (arms locked out), athlete must bring their feet up to the pull-up bar making contact with some portion of their shoes. Both feet must make contact with the bar in between the athlete’s hands.
- Sit-ups (Little Bell) – each team is given one abmat, athlete must sit back and touch the ground with both hands (above their shoulders) before sitting up and touching the ground by their feet, athlete must sit-up to 90 degrees.
+ FINAL: End Game
There will be a cut to the top 6 teams in each division.
To Be Announced...
Team Registration - Big Bell & Little bell divisions
Announcements & CLARIFICATIONS:
+ Event 1: Winter Soldier
- Row calories have been updated - both men & women will be doing rowing 12 calories.
+ Event 4: Infinity War
- Rep scheme has been revised - Ladder will begin at 4 and increase by 2 each round.
2018 Little Bell results
1st Place: TEAM EMA - CrossFit Override
2nd Place: SWAGG CROSSFIT - SWAGG CrossFit
3rd Place: BENCHWARMERS 2.0 - CrossFit Override