CrossFit Strongtown is excited to announce the official return of our annual Battle for the Bell competition! This year's event will be Battle for the Bell VII: Stranger Bells and will taking place on Saturday, October 13th.
Teams will be competing across two division; Big Bell, and Little Bell with a potential 5 workouts for the right to take home the highly coveted Golden Demonbell for the next year. Last year's event saw the addition of Silver & Bronze bells for the 2nd & 3rd place teams in each division.
Check-ins will begin at 8:00am, standards for the first workout will be reviewed at 8:45 and the first heat will be starting promptly at 9:00am.
This event started in 2012 as a local get together between a few gyms that all had their CrossFit story originate out of one of CT’s first affiliates, CrossFit Watertown. Just as the CrossFit community has grown, so has this event. We have been happy to open our doors and welcome any affiliates that want participate.
The competition will be a 4 person team format. Teams will be co-ed with 2 men & 2 women making up the 4. The event is limited to 32 teams total between the two divisions - Big Bell & Little Bell. Tickets are available on a first come first serve basis.
Event registration includes an event shirt for all team members, event description / judging packet, links to event scoreboard as well as food tickets for a post workout BBQ for all Athletes and Judges.
8:00am ATHLETE REGISTRATION
8:45am EVENT #1 REVIEW
9:00am WORKOUTs BEGIN
FINAL EVENT SCOREBOARD:
EVERYDAY LIFTERS (@everyday_lifters)
BOLDED TEAM NAMES ARE BIG BELL DIVISION, HEAT ASSIGNMENT = EVENT LANE NUMBER
RUN LIKE THE WINDED
TWO SNATCHES AND A COUPLE OF JERKS
BOY WONDER AND THE POWER SNATCHES
HAIR OF THE WOD
BITCHIN' ALL THE WAY
BE11AS & FE11AS
BEYOND REASON FITNESS
THE GOON SQUAD
CUSTOM CAKES: BY SARAH
MISTERS, BLISTERS, AND SWOLE SISTERS
WOD WE GET INTO
THE WODDING DEAD
JUSTICE FOR BARB
THERE’S SOMETHING ABOUT BARB
SHOW ME YOUR SNATCH
SCHNITZELS WITH CHAPERONS
3 CHOPS + 1 STRUDEL
STRANGER BELLS: THE WORKOUTS
+ EVENT 1: Dig Dug
11 Minute: Relay - As Many Rounds as Possible:
7 Burpee Box Jump Overs
12 Dumbbell Hang Clean & Jerk (6 each arm)
11 Wall Ball
Team Format: M/F/M/F...or...F/M/F/M (entire team works out together)
Total Time: 11:00 Minutes
Workout is a team AMRAP / Relay, the team will choose how they rotate through athletes but must alternate between the men and women. Each team will be given a lane that contains a multi-sided box, a dumbbell for the men & women, a wall ball for the men & women. The 1st athlete will perform 7 Burpee Box Jump Overs, 12 Dumbbell Hang Clean & Jerks, and 11 Wall Ball. After they have completed a full round they tag their next teammate. Teams continue to rotate through as many times as possible in allotted time. .
SCORE: Workout is worth a potential 2 points (score gets entered twice)
- 1A) Total Rounds & Reps completed by the Team
- 1B) Total Rounds & Reps completed by the Team
- 30/24" Box (step-ups are not permitted)
- 50/35 lb Dumbbell
- 25/16 lb Wall Ball (10' Men / 9' Women)
- 24/20" Box (step-ups are permitted)
- 35/20 lb Dumbbell
- 20/14 lb Wall Ball (10' Men / 9' Women)
- Burpee Box Jump Overs – similar to the Open, at the beginning of the repetition each athlete starts standing tall. They then must go chest to deck in the bottom of their burpee before standing up and jumping over their box, they do not need to open their hips on top of the box and they can either step or jump in and out of the burpee.
- Step-ups are permitted in the Little Bell division only
- Dumbbell Hang Clean & Jerk - similar to the Open, each athlete must fully stand-up with the dumbbell before starting their lift. Each athlete must then clean the dumbbell to their shoulder (dumbbell must make contact with the shoulder), before pressing, push-pressing, or jerking the dumbbell overhead. If the athlete jerks the weight they must stand tall and bring their feet together in order to complete the rep.
- Wall Ball - each team will be allotted 1 wall-ball station with a 9' & 10' target as well as a men’s and women’s weight medicine ball. Standards will be a full squat (crease of hip below the top of knee) at the bottom and the ball hitting its target line at the top.
+ EVENT 2: The Upside Down
12 Minute: Relay - As Many Rounds as Possible
8 Alternating Dumbbell Snatch
16' Dumbbell Waiter Lunge (right or left arm)
8 Handstand Push-ups (BB) ... 8 Hand Release Push-ups (LB)
16' Dumbbell Waiter Lunge (opposite arm)
Team Format: M/F/M/F...or...F/M/F/M (entire team works out together)
Time: 12:00 Minutes
Workout is a team AMRAP / Relay, the team will choose how they rotate through athletes but must alternate between the men and women. Each team will be given a lane that contains both a men's and women's dumbbell as well as handstand (or hand release) push-up station. The 1st athlete will perform 8 Alternating Dumbbell Snatch, a 16' Dumbbell Waiter Lunge, 8 Handstand Push-ups (Big Bell) or 8 Hand Release Push-ups (Little Bell), and one more 16' Dumbbell Waiter Lunge. After they have completed a full round they tag their next teammate. Teams continue to rotate through as many times as possible in 12 minutes.
SCORE: Workout is worth 2 points (score gets entered twice)
- 2A) Total Rounds & Reps completed as a Team
- 2B) Total Rounds & Reps completed as a Team
- Handstand Push-ups
- Squat Snatch
- 50/35 lb Dumbbell
- Hand Release Push-ups
- Power Snatch
- 40/25 lb Dumbbbell
- Alternating Dumbbell Snatch – dumbbell starts with both heads on the ground, athlete must lift the dumbbell from the ground to overhead in a single pull. The rep is completed when the athlete is standing tall with the dumbbell fully locked out overhead. Like the Open, the non-lifting hand is not allowed to touch / push-off any part of the body on the pull to overhead. Athletes are permitted to alternate hands on the transition back to the ground, both heads of the dumbbell must touch the ground at the start of each rep.
- Dumbbell Squat Snatch (Big Bell only) - each repetition must pass through the bottom of a single arm overhead squat before standing tall with their hips, knees, and arm locked out at the top. The standard for the overhead squat is the same an air squat - crease of hip below the top of knee at the bottom.
- Dumbbell Waiter Lunge – prior to starting the lunges the athlete must have the dumbbell in an overhead locked out position with whatever arm they are choosing to start with. Athlete must lunge down the floor (16') while holding the dumbbell overhead and having their back knee kiss the ground between each rep. Both feet must start behind the designated line and finish with both heels clearly over the line.
- Handstand Push-ups (Big Bell) – each team will be given a handstand push-up station with a set of bumper plates (35 lbs) to mark the hand positions and an abmat for the head in the middle. At the start of each rep the athlete must kick-up to the wall and show control at the top of the handstand before starting their rep...kicking up to a headstand or resting on the head and starting from their is not permitted. After showing control at the top the athlete must lower themselves down making contact with their head to the AbMat before pressing or kipping out of the bottom.
- Hand Release Push-ups (Little Bell) – each team will be given a designated area to complete their hand release push-ups. Each rep starts with the athlete locked out in the top of a plank hold. From there the athlete lowers their chest to the ground, releases / picks up their hands with their chest to the deck before pressing out to finish the movement witht their arms locked out at the top of a plank.
+ EVENT 3: The Pollywog
As Heavy as Possible:
4 Hang Cleans (squat or power)
2 Cleans (squat or power)
Team Format: M/M | F/F ... or ... F/F | M/M (teams choose whether their men or women begin the workout)
Time: 13:00 Minutes Overall - 6:00 Per Pair with a 1:00 Transition
Each team will have 1 station with 2 barbells (45/35) and a stack of weights (45/35/25/15/10/5/2.5 – 275 total pounds, 320 with 45# bar, 310 with 35# bar). Teams choose whether the men or the women start the workout, from there the 1st pair will have 6 minutes for each partner to set a max clean complex. Only the working partners are allowed to change weights. Bars are empty at the start of the workout & transition.
SCORE: Workout is worth 2 points
- 3A) Total Weight Lifted by Men
- 3B) Total Weight Lifted by Women
- Scores are ranked against Big Bell Division.
- Scores are ranked against Little Bell Division.
- Unbroken / Touch & Go – once the barbell complex is started the athlete must complete all the reps without dropping the bar or resetting. Athletes are allowed to pause / readjust in the hang position during any of the movements....readjusting or pausing with the bar on the ground will be considered a no-rep for the complex.
- Deadlift – each repetition starts with the barbell on the ground and finishes when the athlete is standing tall with their knees & hips locked out and their shoulders behind the bar. Bouncing the bar between reps is not permitted.
- Hang Clean – starting at the finish of the deadlift (top of the hang position), the athlete must clean the bar up to their shoulder and stand up fully with the bar. A 'low' hang clean is permitted as along as the bar does not pass below the knees during the dip / pull. Either hang squat cleans or hang power cleans are permitted.
- Clean – each repetition starts with the barbell on the ground. From there the athlete must clean the bar up to their shoulder and stand up fully with the bar. Either squat cleans or power cleans are permitted.
+ EVENT 4: The Flea and the Acrobat
Syncrhonized ascending ladder
5 Synch. Thrusters
5 Synch. Toes to Bar (BB)...or...Sit-ups (LB)
+3 Reps Each completed round
Team Format: M/F | M/F (Team is split into two co-ed pairs)
Time: 13:30 Minutes Overall - 6:30 Per Pair with a 0:30 Transition
Each team will have 1 station with a men's and women's barbell as well as a toe to bar station (Big Bell) or a sit-up station (Little Bell). At the start of the workout the 1st pair begins their ladder. This workout is 'synchronized' and both partners must be moving together the entire time.
- Round 1: 5/5 = 10 Reps Total
- Round 2: 8/8 = 26 Reps Total
- Round 3: 11/11 = 48 Reps Total
- Round 4: 14/14 = 76 Reps Total
- Round 5: 17/17 = 110 Reps Total
- Round 6: 20/20 = 150 Reps Total
SCORE: Workout is worth a potential 2 points
- 4A) Total Reps completed by Team
- *4B) Total Reps completed by Team
- Thrusters @ 95/65 lbs
- Toes to Bar
- Thrusters @ 75/55 lbs
- Thruster – bar starts on the ground for the initial rep, after that the athlete must get the bar to their shoulders (front rack position) and pass through a full front squat before standing tall and locking out the bar overhead. The rep is completed when the athlete is standing with the bar locked out overhead with their hips, knees, and arms locked out.
- Toes to Bar (Big Bell) – rep starts with athlete hanging from pull-up bar (arms locked out), athlete must bring their feet up to the pull-up bar making contact with some portion of their shoes. Both feet must make contact with the bar in between the athlete’s hands.
- Sit-ups (Little Bell) – each team is given one abmat, athlete must sit back and touch the ground with both hands (above their shoulders) before sitting up and touching the ground by their feet, athlete must sit-up to 90 degrees.
+ FINAL: The Mind Flayer
There will be a cut to the top 6 teams in each division.
2 Minutes Per Teammate: For Reps
20/15 Calorie Bike
Max Jump Rope
...and then 4 Minutes Per Team: For Reps
Max Bar Muscle-Ups (Big Bell)
Max Rope CLimbs (Little Bell)
- Bike & Jump Rope: M/F/M/F ... or ... F/M/F/M (alternating )
- Muscle-up / Rope Climbs: Only 1 Person working at a time
Time: 14:00 Total
- Bike & Jump Rope = 2:00 Per Person with a 0:30 Transition (9:30 total)
- Muscle-up / Rope Climbs = 4 Minutes
- 0:30 Transition between end of jump rope and start of muscle-ups / rope climbs
At the start of the workout the first teammate will have 2 Minutes to perform their calorie bike (Men = 20, Women = 15) followed by as many jump rope as possible (Big Bell = double-unders, Little Bell = single-unders) in the remaining time. After the 1st teammate completes there 2 minutes there is a 30 second transition before the 2nd teammate begins their 2 minutes. After the last person has completed their 2 minutes of work there will be a 30 second transition before the team starts their 4 minutes of Bar Muscle-Ups (Big Bell) or Rope Climbs (Little Bell). The team is allowed to alternate however they want but only 1 person may work at at time.
SCORE: Workout is worth a potential 4 points
- 5.1A) Total Reps of Jump Rope Completed by Team
- 5.1B) Total Reps of Jump Rope Completed by Team
- 5.2A) Total Bar Muscle-ups / Rope Climbs Completed by Team
- 5.2B) Total Bar Muscle-ups / Rope Climbs Completed by Team
- Double Unders
- Bar Muscle-ups
- Single Unders
- Rope Climbs
- Bike (Calories) – each team will have 1 bike per team. The bike monitor will count the calories, athlete is not allowed off the bike until the monitor hits the specified rep count. Teams will have a chance to adjust the bike seat before the workout starts and after the teammate before them has completed their calories. Teams are allowed to adjust the bike seat during the 2:00 minutes of work.
- Double Unders (Big Bell) – athlete jumps and jump rope passes under feet twice before the athlete lands.
- Single Unders (Little Bell) – athlete jumps and jump rope passes under feet once before the athlete lands.
- Bar Muscle-ups (Big Bell) – starting from a full hang on the pull-up bar the athlete must pull themselves over the bar and finish with their arms locked out at the top of a dip. Each team will be given one box to help shorter athletes reach the bar.
- Rope Climbs (Little Bell) – athletes start standing on the ground and must climb the rope (15' ht) hitting the bell at the top. Athletes are allowed to jump up to the rope. A rep is complete once the Athlete has hit the bell, Athletes must show control on the way down the rope.
Announcements & CLARIFICATIONS:
+ click to expand
Any changes / updates / clarifications to the above events will be modified in the workout descriptions and listed below, see items above for full workout description.
- Relay is 'down & back' - after Athlete 1 finishes their Wall Ball they stay under the pull-up rig while the remainder of the team complete their rounds. After all 4 Teammates have completed a round the team then works back up the lane in the opposite order....Wall Ball, DB Hang Clean & Jerk, and finishing with Burpee Box Jump Overs.
- Athlete on deck is allowed to adjust box after working Athlete has finished reps.
- Women's Little Bell Dumbbell weight changed to 25 lbs.
- Team transition time increased to 1:00
- Teams are responsible for swapping barbells between pairs.
- Teams are responsible for making sure weights stay within team's area.
- At the start of the workout (for each pair) the bar begins empty.
- Scoring revised - Total Reps Scored as a Team
- Women's Little Bell Thruster weight changed to 55 lbs.
- Event time = 6:30 per pair with a 30 second transition
- Minimum work requirement for podium = 1 Rep (Bar Muscle-up / Rope Climb) per teammate.
- Athlete on deck is allowed to adjust bike seat as soon as working Athlete has completed their calories.
- Double Unders in Little Bell are permitted - the Athlete must make the judge aware they are attempting doubles and the judge will only count their completed double unders. Double Unders in Little Bell will be worth 2.5 Reps vs. Singles at 1.
- Everyday Lifters team & individual photo packages are available through: Stranger Bells - Photo Packages